0 items - $0.00

Home | Shop | Forum | login

Oil stocks

Started by Cincydawg, February 06, 2021, 06:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cincydawg

If you think oil prices are headed higher (they have already moved up a good bit), the oil stocks might be of interest to you.  Exxon Mobile yields a 7.43% dividend and Shell just increased its dividend, it's over 5%.
There are oil ETFs that leverage the market, GUSH and DRIP, the former for up and the latter for down price movements, and regular ETFs of course.
Top 7 Crude Oil ETFs - ETF Database (etfdb.com)
Two large oil services companies of course are SLB and HAL.
2021 could be a decent year for oil, I think the long term outlook is less favorable for various obvious reasons.  I own a bit of Shell and OXY, neither has done very well for me over time.  Well, they are both well into the red on my investment.

Drew4UTk

i don't know near enough about oil stocks as i should.... and a lot of what i do know is from hearsay...

dumb question: isn't there some sort of fee for basically storing costs when buying oil stocks?

Cincydawg

I don't know of any fee for owning oil stocks.  I own the two above and have owned others in the past, no unique fees. 

There are some foreign taxes associated with owning any foreign stocks, of any kind, if you purchase them as foreign stocks.  It's pretty modest.

HK_Vol

I bought at lower prices, but I own both Antero Resources (AR) and Antero Midstream (AM) - they are a natural gas driller and a natural gas pipeline respectively.

AM has about a 15% dividend.  My yield is about 20% from my cost basis and have owned it for about 18 months - so I've derisked that position by about 1/3 since buying it.

AR is up a lot as well since I bought it, but even now, it is trading at 36% of book value.  This is a leveraged bet on natural gas prices over the next few years.

Also own Cenovus (bought Husky, which was bought out by CVE).  Good Canadian producer trading just under book value. Under water at present by a little bit, as I bought it for Husky's dividend, which no longer exists once it was acquired.

Cincydawg

Not an oil stock of course, but Twitter jumped today.  The concept of buying whatever stock gets slammed around here seems to ne a winning strategy.

HK_Vol

I'm leaning towards stocks not denominated in US Dollars.  A weak USD means good news for Emerging Markets economies and stocks.  Went long Chile via ETF (ECH) last month.  Have a bit in Europe and some in Canada as well...

IMAVOL

Quote from: Drew4UTk on February 06, 2021, 05:52:29 PMi don't know near enough about oil stocks as i should.... and a lot of what i do know is from hearsay...

dumb question: isn't there some sort of fee for basically storing costs when buying oil stocks?

you may be thinking about buy physical oil or being delivered on a futures contract.

Front Page Articles